Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12 Days of Yule, Day 3

Following along with Patti Wigington's 12 Days of Yule Devotionals, plus my own inspirations from her daily prayers, Today's journaling/blogging suggestion was this;

My Journaling / Blogging suggestion;

What are your favorite winter traditions? Many of them probably involve warmth and family time; Sitting around the fireplace, cuddling under blankets, drinking hot chocolate or hot apple cider, baking cookies and other treats.... etc. Write about your favorite ways of getting warm or share a favorite winter recipe. Spend some time with your family or close friends, sharing warmth of a fireplace (or a home nice and toasty from the heater or stove) and make some memories to write about!

(from http://journalyourselfawake.blogspot.com/2012/12/12-days-of-yule-day-3.html )

This evening I spent time with my children, doing "wintery" things together.  My oldest daughter is in 8th grade and she is in chorus at her school.  Tonite was their winter concert, so myself and my two younger children went to the school to watch them perform.  After some very proud mommy moments, plus some great Christmas music, we headed home for pizza, hot chocolate, and Christmas movies in the living room with the heater on.  We watched the classic black and white Shirley Temple movie; Heidi, while cuddling on the couch.   That movie was one of the movies we (My parents, brother, and I) always watched when I was a kid during the holiday season, and it felt great to carry on the tradition with my own children.  Spending time together, drinking hot cocoa, being warm and just feeling good about being under the same roof together while it's cold outside - isn't that just THE BEST part of winter and Yule??   Today's Yule Devotional Prayer by Patti Wigington was a Prayer to the Winter Goddess; and I think that in a way- the cold winter nights awaken the Mother Goddess within us all... male or female, mother, father, childless or child, the cold and dark nights encourage us to become closer to each other, and awaken our own nurturing instincts.

"O! Mighty Goddess, in silvery ice,
watching over us as we sleep,
a layer of shining white,
covering the earth each night,
frost on the world and in the soul,
we thank you for visiting us.
Because of you, we seek warmth
in the comfort of our homes and hearths."


After our "warm fuzzy" evening, I sent the kids to bed and had a bit of a dark moon ritual.  I asked the Goddess of Night, Nyx, to help remove boundaries and blocks within my life, and in a sense - I gave my darkness TO the Darkness.  I release the old that no longer serves me, to make room for the new and the blessings of the future which will begin with tomorrow's New Moon and onward through the Yule / Solstice season.  I also did the cord braiding ritual, calling on Nyx's daughters - The Fates, to help me more clearly see the choices that lay ahead of me so that I can move forward with wisdom.  I hope this Dark Moon night has brought you rest, healing, comfort, and nurturing, and that tomorrow's New Moon is the beginning of great blessings for all of you!

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment