"Working to live joyously, not living to work."
"Orangutan, utterly content in his lush rain forest, sees no pressing need to swing on agile limbs from his soft arboreal bed at dawn. He rises when refreshed, stretching great arms before breakfasting unhurriedly on ripe fruits, and only then carrying on with the business of his day. For Orangutan understands the true value of time and counsels that you use it wisely. Are you working to live, or living merely to work? Adjust your priorities lest time slips silently away, taking pleasure with it."
For me, the sentence on the card really hit home. How often am I living to work, rather than working to live? I tend to base my entire day's schedule on whether I am working or not, often choosing to put off doing things I enjoy because "I have to work later", or "I just got off work." That's not right! Yes, work is a necessity, but I can't continue to put off what I enjoy just because I work, the whole point of working should be so to support the life and the joys that come before & after I clock out!
Another thought I am having here; Orangutan is telling me that I should take more joy and pleasure in the work that I do at home. Yep, the housework. Because it should be a joy to take care of my home and family... because I love them! And when I get the basic and necessary things done, I will have more time for leisure! Not that I need to rush around to get things done... (I don't think I have ever seen or heard of an orangutan being in a hurry for anything)... but more to simply enjoy each moment and live fully in the moment for each task that I undertake. It's not about being lazy or slow, it's about being in the moment and really living each moment with joy and pleasure. Even when we have an unpleasant task to do, we can take joy in it by remembering that; 1) it won't take forever, and 2) we will feel better and have time to relax once it is done.
Here are some tasks for you to undertake this week to embrace the message of Orangutan.
- Go to bed earlier! You need your sleep! Don't deprive yourself of this!
- If you need to, sleep in late!
- Eat more fresh fruits. Take time to really be in the moment when you eat. Let yourself be aware of the sensations and tastes of eating and nurturing your body. Try not to be thinking about what you need to do next while you are eating; be aware.
- Turn on some fun and happy music while you are working or doing housework. Just like with eating, try to live in the moment and be aware of the task at hand rather than thinking or worrying too much about what you have to do next. Allow yourself to feel joy and pride at the completion of each of your tasks.
- Take pleasure in some simple pampering and self-care. Nurture your body and spirit so that you can nurture others in your life. When you reward yourself with relaxation and leisure, really enjoy it!
I hope you all have a wonderful week and allow yourself to Work To Live Joyously! In the words of the Discworld's most famous Orangutan; The Librarian, "Oook."