Monday, January 31, 2011

Mommy Time Monday - The Empress

Mommy Time Monday! Each week I'll draw and post a tarot card from The Housewives Tarot and share it with you. So go ahead, sit down and take some time for yourself, you never know what inspiration and advice The Housewives may have for you!


This week I drew The Empress. In the Housewives Tarot, this is card 2 rather than the traditional card 3, she has switched places with The High Priestess and comes two cards before The Emperor rather than one. Makes sense, because this deck is geared towards the women, the wives, the mothers; and that's exactly what The Empress is! She is the ultimate mom, wife, and housekeeper! In this card she is an older housewife, one who has the wisdom of experience. She is holding a large book that says "Recipes for Success" and she has a table in front of her with many common ingredients needed for cooking the perfect meal. She not only knows how to run a household, but she is perfectly willing to teach you the ropes and share her recipes and tips with you!

The guidebook says; "Motherhood * Poise * Nurturing *
A feminine force to be reckoned with, The Empress is the earthly mother to housewives everywhere, and she spreads her wisdom of domesticity across the land. Symbolizing your hidden potential, she is warm, comforting, and perfectly poised and coifed, with just a touch of authority to complement her nurturing charm. She has tested each and every recipe herself in her own kitchen, and loves nothing more than sharing the tips and secrets of her success. Follow her instructions carefully, and you're on your way to domestic bliss."


The first thing I noticed as I was looking at this card this morning was that she looks like my grandma. I found this picture of my grandma, and look - they're even wearing the same color and have the same hair style!

My grandma and I were not especially close in life. She lived far away so I grew up without her daily presence, only really seeing her on holidays, vacations, etc... usually less than once a year. When we did see each other, there was sometimes friction, as our personalities often clashed. I think that's because we're both Capricorns... her birthday was the day before mine!
She passed away a little over a year ago, just before Christmas in 2009. The interesting thing is, now I feel closer to her than I ever did before. I can feel her presence with me sometimes, she is checking in on her many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I can talk to her more easily now, without the miles separating us. I have found a deeper understanding and respect for her as I learned more about her life. She was a devout Catholic who always attended mass, volunteered at her church and hospital, raised 5 children, and always kept a beautiful home. I talk to her a lot now, asking her how she did it all, and her answer is always "Love".
With this card, I feel like I still have a lot to learn from her, and that I can take a few pages from her book and improve myself as a mother and housewife. With a little bit of poise and stubbornness like my grandma had, I can step into my role as a Capricorn Mom. Volunteer work will satisfy the part of me that wants to spread love and make a difference, and maybe cooking things from scratch and trying new recipes will uplift me along the way, too.
What women in your life do you look up to? Is there a family matriarch that you can learn from? Go ahead and take time to model some areas of your life after the women that you look up to. Take a few lessons from The Empress and you'll be on your way to becoming an Empress yourself!



The Housewives' Tarot, by Paul Kepple and Jude Buffum, Quirk Publications

-------------------------------------------------

Journaling questions for the Two of Pentacles (from Mary K. Greer's "Tarot For Yourself")

* How are your nurturing and mothering qualities being used right now?
* What creative projects are growing and developing?
* What are you attracting to you?
* Who is inspiring and nurturing you?
* How are you indulging your senses?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Want more? Stop by my website and see the new Domestic Divination section! You can get your own tarot reading with the Housewives Tarot and see what advice and motivation The Housewives have for you! http://tarotbyjosephine.webs.com/domesticdivination.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment