Monday, July 20, 2009

My Day; the DMV, Hot Dogs, and RAIN!


Yes, it actually rained today! For the first time since April I felt a cool wind and blissful drops of rain on my shoulders. But this was the end of my really nice day..... well for the most part!


Hubby had the day off. It is rare that we get a day off together. He works Monday thru Friday, and I work weekends. We see eachother in the evenings, but that's about it. Since we only have 1 car, and he has to drive it to work, I am stuck at home with the three kids 5 days a week. I don't mind most of the time, but I do get a little Cabin Fever!!


So today he was home, which was great because I needed to go to the DMV to get temporary registration tags for our car. I left for the DMV around 9:30 am, waited there, and my number finally came up. They refused to give me a 30 day tag because according to their records, I didn't have insurance! Which was total B.S. because I had proof of insurance right there. So I had to drive from the DMV to my insurance agent, have her print out something that said there had never been a lapse in my policy, and go back to the DMV again. Get a new number and wait. AGAIN. Of course, the DMV gladly gave me my temporary tag, but under no circumstances would admit that they had been wrong. I think it must be in the state by-laws; The DMV is deemed infallible. For them to admit they were wrong or to utter an apology for wasting any part of my day would have ripped a hole in the space-time continuum.


So I got home around 12:30. The first half of my day gone. So much for the first day of my new schedule. But after the rest of my day, I think I should be fully ready to tackle my new schedule first thing in the morning!! Because we decided to drive out of town and go visit some friends.


It was really nice to get away. As I said before, the kids and I are stuck at home pretty much 24/7. Our friends used to be neighbors here at our apartment complex, but moved to a house about 20 minutes outside of town over a year ago. We have only seen them once in the past year, and that was at a birthday party and Peter Piper Pizza. So we packed up the kids and drove 20 minutes out of the city and spent the rest of the day at their house. They have three kids also, ages 5, 2, and 6 months. My kids were so happy to see thier old friends again, as well as probably very pleased to be out of the apartment and be able to play with someone else's toys!! They were so pleased, in fact, that they pretty much left me alone the whole afternoon and evening, playing upstairs. I stayed downstairs, playing with the baby, catching up with my friend, and watching "Pineapple Express" on TV. (By the way, that movie was pretty hilarious!) For dinner we did Hot Dogs and Brats with grilled onions, Baked Beans, Mac & Cheese, and Potato Salad. I did notice something when I stepped outside by the grill... it was QUIET out there! I couldn't hear a constant droll of traffic, I didn't hear any sirens or helicopters, no TV's from surrounding apartments. There were other houses around, but it was just much quieter out there. Out of the city and closer to the mountains. Hubby was drinking beer with the guys and grilling the Brats and Dogs on the grill, and I was enjoying a Rum and Coke with my girlfriend and helping to cook the side dishes with my girlfriend. Pretty simple, but I was reminded that sometimes it's the Simple things in life that are really refreshing to our spirits.


While we were cooking, the clouds were building up and the wind was blowing really hard. It cooled down outside from 110 to something in the 90's... a real wonderful feeling for us Desert Dwellers! After dinner, it started to rain; nice big fat drops of rain. Man I love the smell of rain, the sound of thunder, and a strong cool breeze. Being without rain for a few months in the desert, with daily triple digit heat really makes you appreciate the rain when it comes.


All in all, I had a really refreshing day. Just not worrying about housework or the usual stuff, spending time with family and friends, getting out of the city - out of my Apartment!!


No comments:

Post a Comment